Workers’ Compensation Medical Expenses FAQs

September 18, 2015

When you have been injured at work the workers’ compensation benefits that you receive when your claim has been approved include short term disability compensation and medical care pertaining to the injury. Many people have questions about payment for medical expenses under workers’ compensation, so we have compiled a quick list of frequently asked questions here. If you have a question related to your own case that is not covered here, our Philadelphia workers’ compensation lawyers can consult with you and answer any questions you might have about what benefits you are entitled to receive.

Q: What kinds of medical expenses are covered by workers’ compensation?

A: Medical expenses that are necessary to treat your work-related illness or injury are covered whether it is an emergency room visit, a hospital stay, doctor visits, or surgery. Diagnostic tests such as X-rays, MRIs and other diagnostic tests are also covered if your doctor needs to order them to assess your work-related injury.

Q: Will workers’ compensation cover any alternative treatments for my occupational illness?

A: Standard medical treatments are covered under the workers’ compensation program. If you want to try alternative treatments such as naturopathy, acupuncture or any other alternative or experimental treatment for your injury or disease, you employer’s insurance carrier is not likely to approve those expenses.

Q: Is rehabilitation covered?

A: If the treatment for your injury requires therapy, then those expenses will be covered as well. If your injury prevents you from returning to your former job, the rehabilitation benefits could pay for training and other expenses required to make you qualified to pursue another job or another line of work.

Q: Is there a limit on how many treatments I may receive?

A: The number of treatments that will be approved depends on the recommendation of the company doctor. If additional treatments would prove beneficial to improving your condition, then they might be approved.

Q: What is an Independent Medical Examination (IME)?

A: For any reason at all your employer’s insurance carrier can require you to undergo an IME. Pennsylvania’s workers’ compensation law dictates that the insurer can request that you be examined by a doctor at a reasonable time and place. If you are not comfortable with this request you may want to get advice from your workers’ compensation lawyer who will advise you of your rights and responsibilities.

Medical treatments that your doctor recommends that are necessary to treat your work-related injury or occupational disease will be covered. Inform your doctor about your workers’ compensation claim and they will bill your employer’s insurance carrier directly. In some instances, the insurance company will require pre-approval before you incur any medical expenses.

If you suffered a workplace injury and now you have questions about your case, you may contact the Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorneys at Larry Pitt & Associates. We are here to protect your rights. We have offices all over Pennsylvania to serve clients in Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties.