Workers’ Compensation 101: What to Do If You’ve Been Injured on the Job

July 24, 2015

If you have been injured on the job, you are most likely entitled to workers’ compensation. If you are unable to work because of your work-related illness or injury, you may be eligible for wage-loss compensation and medical expenses under the Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act.

When you suffer a workplace injury, the following steps are necessary to document the injury so that you can receive workers’ compensation benefits:

  • Report the injury immediately, or as soon as you are able. Make sure to include when, where, and how you were injured. You must report the incident within 120 days to be eligible for benefits. Report the incident to more than one person, including your supervisor and human resources. If you are union member, report to your steward as well.
  • Get medical treatment immediately. Some employers may have a list of approved physicians for on the job injuries. Make sure to keep all of your medical bills and receipts for any medications or medical devices.
  • Follow the instructions for your treatment. If you fail to follow your doctor’s instructions, you can become ineligible to receive workers’ compensation benefits.
  • Evaluate how your injuries affect your daily life. If you are ill or injured enough, you probably need help with day-to-day activities. This affects not only you, but the person who must help you. Requiring a caretaker can help prove that you need time to recover, and that you deserve the benefits to do that.

Workers’ compensation claims can require a wide range of details, from medical records and expenses to multiple court appearances. Pennsylvania Workers’ Compensation Act is there to protect you, but your company and its’ insurance company employ lawyers to protect their money.

If you have been injured on the job, you are not alone. The experienced Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorneys at Larry Pitt & Associates can help you with your claim. Please contact our offices for more information. We proudly serve clients in and around Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery and Philadelphia Counties.