Medical Evidence Needed for Workers’ Compensation Claim

May 30, 2017

When you’ve been injured on the job, you are entitled to file a worker’s compensation claim. Your employer’s insurance should cover your medical bills and other losses in case you get injured on the job. Even if your employer was not directly responsible for your accident, you still have legal recourse and should hire a Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorney to take your case. If you are injured during the workday, you should report the incident to your employer and immediately seek medical attention.

Workers’ compensation law gives you 120 days to report your injury, but it is in your best interest as an employee to report as soon as the incident occurs. There is a three-year statute of limitations to file a suit or claim. While your employer will likely recommend a medical practitioner, even though you too will want to seek medical attention, you are not required to see your company’s doctor. This is a common myth in workers’ compensation cases. Unless you have explicitly signed an agreement saying you will see your company appointed physician or specialist in the event of an employment-related injury, you are free to seek medical advice from your own doctor or another specialist.

The “reasonable and necessary” medical care standard

The current state of Philadelphia workers’ compensation law requires “reasonable and necessary” medical care. If you can believe it, this is the source of the majority of disagreement in workers’ compensation cases. If you seek medical attention after a work-related injury, you should insist on documentation and a copy of all of your medical records.

Some of the documentation you will want to maintain for your case includes:

  • An incident report or other documentation if you were injured in the workplace.
  • Medical bills for any treatment received, including medications.
  • Copies of any reports, evaluation, prescriptions, procedures, or doctor’s orders related to your case.

It is also helpful to keep a detailed record of your symptoms and your adherence to your doctor’s recommendations.

The Philadelphia Workers’ Compensation Act was enacted in 1915 and has been modified several times since. This is the law on the books that governs your legal recourse in case of a workers’ compensation claim. When you are filing a claim, you will need an aggressive Philadelphia workers’ compensation attorney. Make sure you have all of your medical records from doctors or specialists that you’ve seen about your job-related injury. Ask for detailed notes and obtain copies of them, whether you’ve seen your own doctor, your company’s doctor, or anyone else.

Larry Pitt & Associates has the skills, knowledge base, and experience needed to help you understand your medical records and file your case against your employer’s insurance company. We have proudly served clients in Bucks, Berks, Chester, Delaware, Montgomery, and Philadelphia Counties for almost 40 years. If you or your family member was hurt on the job, we will fight on your behalf. To schedule a consultation with a team of Philadelphia workers’ compensation lawyers who can and will defend your rights, please call 888.PITT.LAW or fill out our contact form.